I absolutely love the look of a book page wreath. I blame Pottery Barn. They come up with these insanely cute ideas and then charge crazy amounts of money for them. We all have to figure out how to get “the look” without having “the argument” that comes after you spend $467 on a paper wreath and your husband finds out.
The basic idea is simple. Take a wreath form and a book that you don’t mind tearing up, and turn them into a classy yet inexpensive look for your home. I’m all about inexpensive, and I desperately want my house to look classy. Although most days I would settle for it not looking like an army has just decamped.
I’m not going to do a tutorial. There are tons of them on Pinterest…plus, once you read all the way through this you’ll realize that I have no business teaching anyone to make anything.
I thought it looked pretty simple to make one. I planned to sit on the floor and roll cones out of my book pages while binge-watching Gilmore Girls. In a couple of hours I would have a Pottery Barn knockoff that would be the envy of all my friends. It was idiot proof.
Our local library has a bookstore where they sell books that have been donated but can’t be used and books that have been withdrawn from their collection. They are ridiculously cheap and it’s a great way to build your home library, as well as find books to use for crafts. I found one that I knew I would never read and got to work with my utility knife.
After spending a couple of days (off and on) rolling and gluing…I ended up with this. So much for my “in a couple of hours” scenario.
This, my friends, it a hot mess.
I’m not exactly sure where it went wrong, but it went oh so wrong! Squished cones, mashed corners, hot glue EVERYWHERE. Definitely not what I had in mind. Dan kept walking through and making little murmuring sounds. I think he was trying to be supportive but was truly at a loss for words.
I was pretty close to giving up but I had already decided where I was going to hang it. Plus I was just irritated enough at the whole process to keep going.
I trotted downstairs to my craft room. Which is also Heather’s bedroom, Patrick’s drumroom and the place where we put all of the things that we’ve yet to find a home for. I pulled out an 11 x 14 canvas and after more rolling and gluing I ended up with this.
It’s huge–about 30″ in diameter. Even though it’s technically not a “wreath”, I am pretty pleased with it. I used materials that I had at home so it still met my inexpensive criteria. It fits perfectly on the awkward little wall in the dining room, and it has that “farmhouse” look that I was going for.
If I could convince Chip and Joanna to come and farmhouse the rest of my house I would be in business. Joanna could design an entire house around a craft project, which is a gift I do not possess.
I’m not done with the first one. Anything that I put two days work into is going to straighten up and behave, whether it wants to or not. Unless I can get Joanna to come and fix it for me. I’ll keep you posted.